Change
I was digging through a box of change to find loose pennies, nickles, dimes the other day...(we do this often in our home--thanks to the ICE CREAM TRUCK that so convenientlly parks by the school at 2:45...and in other choice spots near the park!). Neeley has a box full of change she's earned here and there for allowance. She treasures this collection. When she was 3, she even saved up enough (well, we spotted her a little extra!) to buy a Princess scooter! Oh how excited she was on the day she had "enough" to buy it! But, JR and I have noticed a "change" lately. Since we've moved to New York, Neeley has seen a number of homeless people. Her response to the effects of poverty have taken hold of her heart. It seems that a compassion for others less fortunate has tightened its grip on her heart and loosened her grip on her box of change.
Back to the top...mommy digging through a box of change...hmmm...Neeley caught me! I was digging through her collection for quarters to buy an icecream after school the next day. I was scolded. This is what my 5 year old told me, "Mommy, that's for the homeless people!" Like a rookie theif caught in the act, I felt instantly convicted. Way to go Mom! Don't pin the ribbon on my chest! I believe the student has become the teacher.
JR and I have approved Neeley's use of her allowance to buy McDonald's gift certificates that she can give to a needy person when she is with us and feels led to do so. So, tomorrow we take her change to the bank to exchange for bills. And, off we'll go to McDonalds to get some food gift certificates.
Trying to establish God's kingdom "on earth as it is in heaven" means we must think about the social concerns around us and discern our part in easing them. However, some big questions arise from big issues... (Certainly, many factors play a part in each life affected by poverty--for some it is tragedy...for others it is choice)... I'm only just scratching the surface--I admit, I have much to learn about godly responses to poverty. JR's words in a recent talk to a group of students stirred my heart: "To seek the kingdom means that you seek to eradicate all that the coming kingdom will eradicate and you seek to establish what the coming kingdom will establish...the coming kingdom will eradicate injustice, poverty, oppression... And will establish global worship of our God, righteousness, and peace...how do we live our lives to eradicate and establish those things?...What would our lives look like if we got a passion for justice, mercy, righteousness, world-wide salvation?"
Change. Neeley's "change" (a change of heart) was not what I was looking for in that box...but, I found quite a bit of it.
Back to the top...mommy digging through a box of change...hmmm...Neeley caught me! I was digging through her collection for quarters to buy an icecream after school the next day. I was scolded. This is what my 5 year old told me, "Mommy, that's for the homeless people!" Like a rookie theif caught in the act, I felt instantly convicted. Way to go Mom! Don't pin the ribbon on my chest! I believe the student has become the teacher.
JR and I have approved Neeley's use of her allowance to buy McDonald's gift certificates that she can give to a needy person when she is with us and feels led to do so. So, tomorrow we take her change to the bank to exchange for bills. And, off we'll go to McDonalds to get some food gift certificates.
Trying to establish God's kingdom "on earth as it is in heaven" means we must think about the social concerns around us and discern our part in easing them. However, some big questions arise from big issues... (Certainly, many factors play a part in each life affected by poverty--for some it is tragedy...for others it is choice)... I'm only just scratching the surface--I admit, I have much to learn about godly responses to poverty. JR's words in a recent talk to a group of students stirred my heart: "To seek the kingdom means that you seek to eradicate all that the coming kingdom will eradicate and you seek to establish what the coming kingdom will establish...the coming kingdom will eradicate injustice, poverty, oppression... And will establish global worship of our God, righteousness, and peace...how do we live our lives to eradicate and establish those things?...What would our lives look like if we got a passion for justice, mercy, righteousness, world-wide salvation?"
Change. Neeley's "change" (a change of heart) was not what I was looking for in that box...but, I found quite a bit of it.


4 Comments:
Ginger, There is so much to learn from a child. What a beautiful story. Summer
Wow, Ginger. Methinks you should become a writer. Besides, all the NY publishing houses are right on your doorstep!
Yes, I've found in this time of transition, it's my kids who model Jesus to me. They're amazing. As is Neeley and her tender heart.
Keep pressing on,
Mary
what a sweet story indeed... i love you all and miss you so much, I too have been rebuked by Neeley, and rightly so. Love you Ginger... talk to you soon.
Hello Ginger,
I happened by chance onto your blog site....but I wanted to let you know that I have been very touched by many of your posting!
Thanks for sharing your life...I was very touched by how your daughter touched a 'change' in your heart...amazing how God uses our children to teach us things about His kingdom.
I pray God blesses you and your family as you have moved hundred's of miles to establish God's kingdom here on the earth.
May God continue to flame your daughter's heart of compassion...I am touched!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home