Cigarettes & a Dollar
"Please, Senorita! Take it...Take it!," she said. She would not take something for nothing...today she was asking for coffee and a bagel with cream cheese. "Sure," I said. I returned with her request, and she offered me 2 cigarettes. "Take it..." she kept saying. I told her I don't smoke...neither does my husband. She said, "Then give it to your brother." "I don't have a brother." So, she gave me her dollar and would not take it back. She said, "Take it, in the name of...do you know who?" "God." I said. She replied, "Yes." We spoke briefly about God. Adasia is a very poor and crippled woman who sits on a step on York between 79 & 80th. I see her frequently. Neeley is very concerned for her. I have to say I'm catching Neeley's compassion. Adasia is a part of our neighborhood. Do we love our neighbors without loving her...the poor? I cannot just accept those whom are most comfortable to like. Adasia offered me the little things that support her livelihood in return for providing her a simple breakfast. I am blessed today by a poor woman. I'm still seeking what I need to learn from these encoutners and how Jesus would love her. Any thoughts, please share. I am instantly reminded of how poor I am...my deplorably poor, dirty spiritual state apart from the blood of Christ and the punishment He took for my wrong doing. Christ offers to meet our deepest needs and also provides our simplest needs. I am grateful. What do I offer Him?...a "cigarette and a dollar"...the little that I have...my life. My livelihood depends on Him. I am blessed today.


5 Comments:
i heart you. lots.
Okay, Ginger. I thought about this a lot because it's really hard for me in similar situations, and my heart starts crying as I read your post. Perhaps the giving what you've been given thing, or passing on to others what you've been given, would work.
ie: you and Neeley make a bunch of little 2X3 "notes" that say something like, "passing on a smile" or simply have smiley faces that Neeley has drawn on them. (you could even laminate them if you want) Then you give her the breakfast. She tries to give you something in return to show her gratitude and because she's desperate to give even though she has practically nothing to give. Instead of letting her give YOU something, hand her a "Passing On A Smile" "Note." Tell her that you are passing a smile on to her because one was passed on to you. What would show you her gratitude most would be if she would do something/anything that would bring a smile to someone else, then ask her to pass her Smile Note to the person she passes a smile to.
Or, you could hand her the Smile Note with the breakfast when she gives you a smile for the food.
No money or tangible item need be exchanged on her part.
Encourage her that perhaps her Smile can be passed on by giving someone a compliment or doing something for someone within her limitations.
Everytime you do something for her and give her a Smile Note, you give her the challenge and opportunity to do something for someone else. In helping someone else, she has the opportunity to develop a sense of value that she can do something for someone else, self-worth that she is needed and important, and even some character in that she didn't receive something for "free" but was willing to "pay" for it by paying someone ELSE a kindness!
Perhaps you could even begin it at home where Neeley, and even you, would need to earn a "Smile Note" in order to have one to give away to someone else. Then you could tell her, or anyone else, that you earned this "Smile Note" and that you chose to pass it on by giving them breakfast.
But you could share that, for example, you earned your Smile Note by spending an extra ten minutes with Neeley when you preferred to move onto something else, so earning/passing on the Smile Note need NOT require anything tangible or monitary. Passing on the Smile Note may simply be sharing your smile with someone who needs a smile that day, etc.
Let me know what you think! Ann
Ginger,
I have enjoyed reading your posts! Thanks for your hearts of compassion and may God show you how to creatively be 'His Hands' of love to this woman!
I left you a post under your 'Change' story :)
Ginger I love reading your blog and looking at the pictures of you, JR, and the kids. I miss yall so much. Thank you both for all your encouragement and support.
My blogspot
www.simplemomentsofakat.blogspot.com
I hope all is going well for you and your family. Enjoy New York in the fall for me.
Hi Ginger - me again...
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR VISITING MY BLOG...you have NO idea how much you made my day today...cuz' just the other day, I stopped by your blog again and thought...well, I guess that cool blogger named "Ginger" stopped blogging and/or....my comments didn't inspire much (which I didn't doubt could be the case...hee hee)
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a blog until this past September (which is so funny to me cuz' my husband works in the computer industry...lol) anyway, I have really enjoyed blogging..and especially meeting new people...a lot of whom are kindred sisters...
When I came across your blog...I thought immeadiately in my spirit - now HERE is a kindred sister in Christ!! I would really like to 'meet' her...so, I got up the courage to leave you a 'comment'...anyway...
I did notice through your blog that you and your husband were originally from Texas, but had moved to New York to be part of a Church Plant...which I think is WAY cool...and inspiring...because, when my husband and I were first married, we almost became part of a church plant overseas....we really really had the faith and heart to do it...but God did not open the door for us to go at that time...anyway...I can see why you started blogging - a great way to stay connected!!
I hope you find the time or the 'courage' if need be...hee hee...to keep writing...I would love to stop by often and read your posts :)
Sorry this was soooo long....God Bless Ya..and I hope to make you smile or laugh (either at me or with me.....) as I can relate to sometimes needing ADULT conversation....LOL
Take Care!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home