wonder woman, juggling & a 3 ring circus
What do these things have in common? Motherhood. Some of you already knew the answer when you glanced at the title. Then, you know you're not crazy because someone else out there feels the same way! A year ago I was really struggling with how I handle this thing, this over arching title of "Mom." I saw myself in an ugly state of mind, grumpy, easily irritated...not "me." "Mom" entails so much. It is infathomable the roles we play and the hats we wear. And, we are also a wife, a home manager, and maybe a part of an outside community in our churches or schools, and try to maintain at least a minimal social life with the "girls"...etc. We are inclined to helping people, we are compassionate, we say, "Yes" when our insides are screaming, "NO MORE 'MR. NICE GUY!'"
I have recently moved out of state from where my family and all that was familiar to me resides. I have had to leave a lot of "hats" there...in Texas. In some way this has given me an all new opportunity to start over--to evaluate. I can't say I have it all down. But, I have learned to balance and say no. I have realized my tremendous ministry to my husband and kids. I have only taken on the "extras" that are most relevant to my talents, desires, and what I feel God has led me into. Yes, my role is a big one in our new work here in NYC, but it is one that I feel God has enabled me to do for now. Do I feel prepared? NO! Do I know the tasks that lay around the corner and the challenges awaiting me? NO! I am a wondering woman when I consider the task and try to imagine how it is going to get done. I am writing this, just hoping that it will encourage other moms like me to evaluate the areas of influence you have placed yourselve in. Sort them out, ponder them. Choose those to continue that match with desire and the areas in which you can have greatest impact and effectiveness. You may not be moving out of state with an excuse to start over...but you can still make the shift. Enjoy your family and serve in the most effective areas. Narrow your energies to the opportunities where you can make the greatest impact in obedience to what God has inclined you toward. Life will not stop being a 3 ring circus. But you may find it easier to focus in the midst of it! I can more easily see the fruits of my labors when I focus my energies more strategically.
As for "Mom," I don't frequently hear the phrase, "Thank you, Mom, for the time you put into making my lunch today. I especially liked the way you cut the crusts off of my sandwich and cut it into a star shape. That made me feel so special. You're the greatest!"...or other similar recognitions. The fruits of my labor in motherhood do come...sometimes in trickles, sometimes in floods...and not always in words. It is fun decoding hugs, drawings, laughter and the like into that special and much needed, "Thanks, Mom, You're the Best!" Continue on, my Friends!
I have recently moved out of state from where my family and all that was familiar to me resides. I have had to leave a lot of "hats" there...in Texas. In some way this has given me an all new opportunity to start over--to evaluate. I can't say I have it all down. But, I have learned to balance and say no. I have realized my tremendous ministry to my husband and kids. I have only taken on the "extras" that are most relevant to my talents, desires, and what I feel God has led me into. Yes, my role is a big one in our new work here in NYC, but it is one that I feel God has enabled me to do for now. Do I feel prepared? NO! Do I know the tasks that lay around the corner and the challenges awaiting me? NO! I am a wondering woman when I consider the task and try to imagine how it is going to get done. I am writing this, just hoping that it will encourage other moms like me to evaluate the areas of influence you have placed yourselve in. Sort them out, ponder them. Choose those to continue that match with desire and the areas in which you can have greatest impact and effectiveness. You may not be moving out of state with an excuse to start over...but you can still make the shift. Enjoy your family and serve in the most effective areas. Narrow your energies to the opportunities where you can make the greatest impact in obedience to what God has inclined you toward. Life will not stop being a 3 ring circus. But you may find it easier to focus in the midst of it! I can more easily see the fruits of my labors when I focus my energies more strategically.
As for "Mom," I don't frequently hear the phrase, "Thank you, Mom, for the time you put into making my lunch today. I especially liked the way you cut the crusts off of my sandwich and cut it into a star shape. That made me feel so special. You're the greatest!"...or other similar recognitions. The fruits of my labor in motherhood do come...sometimes in trickles, sometimes in floods...and not always in words. It is fun decoding hugs, drawings, laughter and the like into that special and much needed, "Thanks, Mom, You're the Best!" Continue on, my Friends!


3 Comments:
This hits me right where I'm at today. Thanks for putting to words some of my heart. I want to love my children and husband well (here in France) and yet, I do have other things that need to be done. I feel like I gained MORE hats in France. So, as the year turns, I'm going back to re-evaluate mode.
To YOU and all those great mom's out there, that don't hear those five wonderful and much needed words of praise often enough...Let me at least write it....
"YOU'RE THE BEST MOM EVER!!!!!!" oh and, "THANK YOU!!!! ***especially for those fun shaped sandwiches, they really do make our day!!"
Thanks for being one of those mom's who wears many hats - and still finds time to laugh at herself and evaluate/appreicate the importance of it all...
GREAT POST!!!
Nora Roberts once said that women and more and more men are learning as they juggle the balls of life which ones are rubber (and can be dropped with out damage) and which ones are glass. It's a struggle we all have.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home