Thursday, December 13, 2007

Merry Christmas to ALL! **THIS IS OUR LETTER**






Hello, Fam & Friends! It seems I never get around to sending proper holiday cards, much less write a letter. Accept my apologies in advance this year! If you can find it in your hearts to forgive me for taking the cheap and easy route, continue reading and consider this our holiday greeting to all of you. Thanks! (you'll find some exciting stuff...I promise not to disappoint...but, DON'T jump to the end of the December updates just yet...I saved the best for last!)

Our 2007 has been a great year in many ways. Apostles Church has been greatly blessed with new staff members to balance our load, new members to carry out our vision and bless the city and each other, and new locations in which to meet (2 locations in the city now)! Praise God, we are in a healthy state of action and existence right now as a Chrsit following community in our wonderful city.

The family is doing well. Judson started Pre-K half a day every morning at the same school Neeley attends. This is a blessing, yet has also revealed some of Judson's needs as he has not transitioned well into school. He's a great kid, but we are having to help him adjust to new environments (much more than his independent sister)! I pray that his issues are resolved before he has to start all day Kindergarten next year. Phew!

Neeley is in 3rd grade and enjoys reading Harry Potter, singing, dancing at home, writing stories & poems, and watching movies. She's definitely a "creative type." This also means, that being "artsy", she sometimes is lacking in the "stick to a task/multi tasking" department! (Much like her mommy--hate to admit it).

JR is loving being our pastor amidst all of its labors and responsibilities. The joys far outweigh the pains. I am so proud of him and the way he leads. He is a good shepherd to our congregation and to our family. I love him more each passing day and year. I am always impressed by how much this guy can read! He studies and still finds time to read Lord of the Rings (again).

I am enjoying being "mom" and volunteering at church and some at the kids' school. I am also enjoying city life! I have everything I need within really 5 blocks any direction. Walk, walk, walk! Having a good stroller takes on new meaning in the city too! I now rate strollers on compactness down a NY grocery ailse, weight to carry down the subway, weather resistance, and steering with one hand while carrying a coffee in the other! If it requires two hands, forget it! (Yes, I still buckle my 4 year old in a stroller...It is a must if we are walking more than a few blocks and needing to get somewhere on time!)

We are enjoying being "family" here. We love our church friends that are becoming like family to us. Total reliance on others who also live far from their families builds bridges that are unique and hard to break! We have great compassion for the city and those we meet. There's a rawness to the city that you don't get many other places. You see authentically, the "good, bad, and ugly", but you can quickly get to know someone. God is good to place us here.

We wish all of you reading this a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2008! Read on and see the article below "Oh Christmas tree...Oh..." Much more is happening with us!!!



***These are pictures of us at Macy's Santa Land this year. Judson finally smiled with Santa instead of screaming his head off. And, Neeley finally realized that Santa's eyebrows are fake. She said she could see the netting on his skin. However, her reasoning is that Santa needs helpers since he can't be everywhere at once. Phew!***

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristian and Katy said...

what a great christmas letter!!
thanks for the updates.

we love your family and are so excited about your little one :)

~katy

12:04 PM  
Blogger Shawna said...

i am SO impressed you have a picture with both of them smiling on Santa's lap. :) BIG accomplishment. we are blessed to have you here, too! Merry Christmas! we love you guys.

7:14 AM  
Blogger thispresentsojourn said...

So good to hear from you guys. I miss you, really, and I'm glad there is this way (among others) to keep up..

wow, that news is exciting. it's good to hear about the measure (and in how many ways) at which the Spirit's moving among you guys.

peace be, ginger.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hi! I attend Lake Pointe here in Rockwall - I was reading JR's blog and saw the link to yours. I know friends of yours, but not you personally! :) Although, we did go to the same college!
Anyway, it is so cool to keep up with your blog! I lurk around occasionally just to see how you all are doing. You are a fun writer! :)
My husband's mom lives in New York (we keep encouraging her to attend your church but she hasn't yet...don't worry, we'll keep bugging her). :) We visited her last Thanksgiving, and I was amazed with NY - LOVED IT! Oh, the streets were so COOL! So many neat things everywhere...street fairs, and I was amazed at how there were really vegetable and fruit stands, and stores where you go to only buy meat or cheese or something like that. SOOOOO fun! I'm sure on a daily basis it would be a different deal, but I still love the idea.
There's a cool kids musician who lives up there in NY - David Weinstone. Writes awesome, fun, hilarious kids music...I can send you some of his stuff, if you'd like! I think you'd love it - he writes a lot about city life in his kids songs...great stuff.
Anyway, by the way, my name is Heather. Nice to meet you. :)
Maybe when we are in NY again visiting Ann, we'll drop by the church ourselves!

9:31 PM  
Blogger misty said...

I posted a comment on this blog several weeks back but I guess it didn't go through. My pregnant mind of course doesn't remember what I wrote but I'm sure it went along the lines of: glad to see your family is doing well and still enjoying the city - and - WHAT??? YOUR PREGNANT??? Congrats! I'm excited for you. Sometimes little surprises end up being the biggest blessings. Keep in touch!

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home