Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Game of ZAP & the Sovereignty of God

Proverbs 16:33

We may throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall.

I came across this verse today and it reminded me of a silly dice game that my husband and I love to play.  Anyone ever played "ZAP"?  At least that's what we call it, and I'm sure there are several different versions of it.  You take 6 dice and roll them over and over again as long as you get pairs, a 1 or a 5, a run, a full house, a straight, etc., taking score as you go with this crazy point system. It's pretty fun and addicting once you sit down.  We pretend that there is a certain level of skill involved and even make up expert rolling techniques.  My husband's signature move is to blow on the dice in the hollow of his hands just before rolling them. He also would try to "jinx" my dice by wiggling his fingers over my hands as I shook and rolled my dice! It is purely, however, a game of CHANCE!  But that's what makes it so fun.  On one occassion when we were playing this game, JR kept quoting this verse, "We throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall!"  Over and over, it got annoying he was saying it so much.  (Yes, my pastor husband was taunting us with a passage of Scripture!).  Finally, in one roll...BOOM...he rolled a straight (one of the highest scoring points...and a "harder" sequence to get in one roll of all 6 dice landing on the SAME number)!!!  Not just any straight, but he landed on THREEs (we were reminded of the 3-in-1 Trinity).  Double whammy!  The group of us playing were really stunned.  Before breaking out in laughter, we were silently amazed.  It's as if we all felt that God had just rolled the dice and joined in on our little game.  It was a crazy feeling!  Now before I boast just about God's skill in playing ZAP...my point is that God IS SOVEREIGN over the sublime AND the ridiculous, the big and the small, the monumental and the mundane.  I LOVE that about my God! He is in control.  I completely believe that.  This truth brings me comfort and joy in all things daily...when I'm challenged with the monumental or just worn down by the mundane. All of life is in His control.

Here's a couple more verses from the same passage.

Prov.16:1 "We can make our own plans, but the Lord gives the right answer."  Prov.16:9 "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."

Posted via email from Ginger Vassar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home