Go "Native"...Eat "Food"...my inspiration for eating better and providing healthy food for my family
I have started reading "In Defense of Food" an Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan. I have resolved to start learning how to make better choices in foods for my family. I hope to be able to do this without much protest from the kids! :) But, nonetheless, we will persevere until it becomes the norm in our home and until no more complaints are frequent. I have wondered in my head about the extent of how much REAL food content is inside a can, a box, a bag that has a long list of "ingredients." But, with what is given us in the grocery store shelves, you start to think, "Well, if it's there (on the shelf along with many other packaged choices), then it MUST be 'approved' by someone smarter than me and, therefore, be 'good' for me." I'm starting to question more of these "approved" foods these days. Now, I'm not going radical here, just questioning if I'm truly providing the best opportunity for my kids and husband (and myself) to be healthy by our eating habits. Bottom line, I'm trying to make more food purchases that actually grew from the ground instead of produced in a food facility. To summarize, Pollan references David M. Cutler: "For most people for most of history, gathering and preparing food has been an occupation at the very heart of daily life...Here, then, is one way in which we would do well to go a little native..." I am challenging myself to GO A LITTLE NATIVE in my food gathering! Looking forward to learning more. Hope you will think about it too. Any tips are invited.


1 Comments:
Loved your post...very inspiring!!! I would love to hear what you're doing to change the habits. What are you buying now? Thanks for keeping your blog updated too :) I love it!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home